Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
There were multiple entries and each of the dishes was tasted by the staff. (Yum!! We had LOTS of volunteer judges sampling each dish). We had 2 winning recipes this year.
The winners were Sweet Potato Pie made by Tana in our benefits department, the recipe is below, and Loaded Mashed Potatoes made by Claudia in our personal insurance department– this recipe can be found at Tegner-Miller’s main website www.tmib.com.
Please try out our favorites and be sure to let us know what you think.
TMIB wishes you and your family a safe and healthy Thanksgiving!
Sweet Potato Pie
The ingredients you will need for one pie:
- 3 lbs. Yams
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 stick of butter
- Dash of cinnamon
Pre-heat your oven to 400°F
- Boil the yams with the skin on until a fork or butter knife causes the yams to easily break apart when inserted
- Cool yams slightly, then place in a colander and run cold water over them to assist you with removing the skins since the yams will still be pretty hot
- Beat yams with mixer on medium speed, stopping frequently to remove strings from the beaters
- Once the strings are removed, add butter and continue to mix
- Add remaining ingredients (You can adjust the nutmeg and sugar to your taste)
- Continue mixing the batter until it has a nice smooth consistency. The batter should not be thin or runny, and it should not be too thick either. If too thick, try adding a little more evaporated milk (by the tablespoon) until the batter is smooth.
- Pour the batter into your favorite unbaked 9 or 10 inch pie shell, sprinkle a dash of cinnamon on the top and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour.(Tip: Brush the edges of your pie shell with ice water to prevent it from burning).
- Brown specks on the top of the pie are an indication that your pie is done. You can also insert a knife in the middle of the pie, and if it comes out clean it’s done! Let cool for at least 1 hour before cutting and serving.